With the news that the minister is considering the introduction of a UK-style TEF (Teaching Excellence Framework) it is worth considering some of the quality process that currently exist in the third level sector, specifically my university, DCU.
- Annual Programme reviews (APRs)
- Periodic Programme reviews (PPRs)
- External Examiner Reports
- School (department) Quality Reviews
- Faculty Quality Reviews
- Professional / Accreditation Reviews (where demanded by external bodies)
- School Advisory Panels (typically initiated by schools themselves)
- Student Surveys of Teaching (mandatory)
- Student Representation on Programme Boards
- Student Representation on Faculty Teaching Committee
- Student Representation on Academic Council and University Standards Committee
- Mandatory feedback (including viewing of scripts) on exam results (when requested by student)
In addition we have the Irish Survey of Student Engagement
That seems like quite enough to me.